Practicing a skill and the path of Mastery
I wrote a letter to my mentors DJ Fuji and Achilles recently. I started noticing a pattern of failure amongst the guys who are studying pickup. Despite their efforts, they are not improving, or improving very slowly.
I started to realize that when I first started this journey in game in 2007, I already had the social skills I needed. I built these skills through business. Presentation, attire, conversational skills. Although I was oblivious to girls, I was able to read basic social cues.
DJ Fuji, however, literally came from scratch. From my observations in field, the guys who are naturally timid or shy, have to pack in a large amount of “social experience” in a compressed frame of time. Because of this, simple mediocre effort on their part just doesn’t work. Simply going to a bootcamp for “entertainment” doesn’t get lasting results.
So as I am helping other guys now, I at one point became frustrated at the lack of progress these other guys were having. I was looking to build an academy of X-men, all with superpowers. Were we still X-men, each with our own unique abilities and heroic characteristics, or were we simply, average, frustrated chumps? (AFCs)
March 2011 Income Report
- 3/26/11 – $104.10 – seduce with style
- 3/21/11 – $370.75 – seduce with style
- 3/20/11 – $99.60 – affiliate sales
- 3/13/11 – $250.00 -direct ad revenue
- 3/2/11 – $406.75 – CPC ad revenue
March Expenses: $145.95
- 3/31/11 – $49.95 – imautomator
- 3/28/11 – $29 – aweber
- 3/6/11 – $10 – domain renewal
- 3/2/11 – $10 – new signature graphics
- 3/1/11 – $47 – popup domination
March business net profit: $1085.25
My profit share: $542
- Not enough money! Despite our best efforts over the past 6 months, the current stream of revenue is just not enough to sustain 2 full time founders. That, and along with my previous Google salary. We have come to the stark realization that starting a business takes time, and also, a large commitment.
- Process: we need to setup process. People are lazy in general. Daily reports now are a must. If the right processes are set in place, the right things start happening. Being in a startup, you need to build the discipline for you and your associated business partners. Without this, there can be no progress.
- We have moved all affiliate sales into our own product, which is generating revenue. However, there is still SO much more potential for SWS to grow. In addition to this, we’ve figured out the product sales model, and should be exploring even more industries to penetrate with this knowledge.
- March revenue was also lower due to affiliate sales going down. Because we added up all the affiliate minimum payouts in Feb, our average sales should be a little lower. Our average sales right now per month should be around $1500, and the goal should be $3000 for the next milestone.
Days 26 – 40
Income report from March is coming soon. Lesson learned from the job interviewing process is insightful.
In terms of the business, we were able to make some major improvements. The little things in terms of setting up process counts. I have also learned that
- Large takeover ad for Seducing With Style does work.
- Weekly face to face meetings sets up process for business. Process is super important for discipline and success.
- Keeping the momentum going by having weekly to do lists.
- Staying motivated on the larger picture and agreement on the final goal (financial freedom)
Recently, I also started looking for a new job. The idea was the find something that I can do well and use the money I make in salary to finance ACP.
I’d like to find something that isn’t as crazy as management consulting or startup hours, but where I can still contribute and learn a lot.
Sorry guys. I was supposed to keep this updated, but I have lagged out for about 2 weeks. Recently I realized that I needed to get a full time job. The reasons for this are many, some of which I cannot share with you although I have deliberately kept this blog a bit personal.
I will continue with day 25, knowing that perhaps in 40 days we may not hit the $100 a day goal. Nonetheless, you can see my progress and I will continue to be working on my side business. In addition to this, I may do a marathon race for another 30-60 days in the future for a similar goal.
Right now, our rate for March is low. $800 for the month. We are expecting more money to come in, and I will provide a full income report when March ends.
Inspirations and Dealing with Temporary Failure
You wake up on Monday morning, and the routine starts.
Work. Office. Boss. Emails. Routine. Lunch. Get back home. Sleep. And the day starts all over again.
I did this for 3.5 years. I hate it everyday. I would find every opportunity to wiggle my way out of it, or to find an alternative to the path. I started building my own business, with a partner still in school. We succeeded in making some money, but it wasn’t enough.
Certain people can deal with the mundaneness of this routine, but I cannot. Yet, when push comes to shove, you need to money to put food on the table. You need it to survive. Read more